Location: Midlands and North England, United Kingdom
Division: Nikon Healthcare – UK Microscopy Division
Department: Service Department
Purpose of Job: This role provides an excellent opportunity to learn and expand technical and people skills through a diverse and complex range of products, customer profiles and working environment.
Reports to: This position reports to the Field Service Team Lead and is a field-based role
- Undertake installations, repairs, maintenance, relocations and assessments to Nikon microscopy equipment on customer premises
- Delivery of service targets, ensuring all appropriate actions are taken in order to maximise service performance in designated territory
- Initiate corrective actions as and when required to minimise instances of poor customer service
- Build, develop and maintain long-term relationships with customer base, through the timely and successful delivery of resolutions to customers’ issues in designated territory
- Ensure that all customer issues are resolved promptly through high quality technical knowledge
- Ensure that the progress and action plan for all customer cases in designated territory are communicated effectively to relevant staff.
Required core competencies:
- Excellent interpersonal skills through effective verbal and written communication
- Demonstrate an ability to build relationships with a wide range of customers and colleagues at all levels of the business.
- Strong ability to plan, organise and prioritise workload effectively to meet the needs and exceed the expectations of our customers and field based colleagues.
- Consistent delivery of high-quality customer experience without compromising our business goals.
- Display enthusiasm for finding innovative solutions to challenges, challenging the status quo and sharing knowledge with colleagues
- Experience in maintaining capital medical equipment and associated software, commissioning technical equipment and diagnosing faults remotely
- Clear evidence of operating in field customer service environments including planning work schedules, applying testing protocols and writing comprehensive visit reports
- Working knowledge of PC maintenance, networking, software packages (Microsoft Windows) and firmware
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, including optical, software, mechanical or electrical disciplines
- Settled in Nottingham, Derby, Burton or Loughborough or within 5 miles
- Able to work flexibly to fulfil commitments, be absent overnight & travel abroad occasionally, sometimes at short notice
- Able to spend up to 3 week-nights away from home during first 12 months of training
- Full UK driving licence held for at least one year with confidence in both city and long distance driving
- Able to lift up to 25 kg & assemble equipment
- Experience of working in an academic research, core imaging facilities or clinical laboratories
- Scientific or engineering degree, minimum 2ii classification
- Experience of live cell imaging & microscopy techniques
- Working knowledge of customer relationship databases (Dynamics 365/Salesforce)
- Competitive salary
- Car allowance
- Employee assistance programme
- Discount on Nikon products
- Permanent health insurance*
- Life insurance*
- Private health care*
- Dental scheme*
- Childcare vouchers*
- Holiday: 27 days per year, rising to 32 with years of service
*qualifying periods apply
Nikon UK Limited is a subsidiary of the Nikon Corporation, Tokyo, Japan. Nikon Corporation currently employs over 26,000 people worldwide and has an annual turnover in excess of £5.8 billion. Established in 1917, the company is a leading supplier of micro-optical instruments from digital cameras to microscopes to Photolithography systems for the semiconductor sector. The Corporation has a presence in all major trading areas. The business of the Corporation is multi-faceted; there are 2,300 products that carry the Nikon name and over 300 types of glass are used across the product range.
Nikon UK office was established in 1979. The Head Office is on the edge of Richmond Park near Kingston upon Thames and a total of approximately 125 staff are employed across two divisions (Imaging and Instruments).
The Instruments Division in the UK is experiencing a sustained period of growth and Nikon is recognised as one of the leading suppliers in the field, in direct competition with Leica, Olympus and Zeiss.
If you are interested and would like to apply or request more information, please email us at