The BioStudio-T offers a unique imaging platform with a stationary sample surface and moving objective lens. This configuration allows observation of mechanically sensitive samples, such as stem cells, with minimal perturbation. The fixed-stage, scanning lens system also provides a superior solution for long-term time lapse imaging and large image acquisition (tiling). Furthermore, the unique sample holder enables users to remove the sample vessel for media exchange during imaging routines without losing track of sample position.
The Biostudio T was designed specifically for research applications in the field of regenerative medicine and stem cell biology and for use in cell manufacturing facilities.
- Compatible with a variety of sterilization techniques: The BioStudio-T features an exceptionally waterproof and chemical-resistant design. This easy-to-clean microscope may be sterilized using hydrogen peroxide gas and/or UV sterilization methods. The compact footprint allows for installation of the BioStudio-T in various isolators, incubators, and biosafety cabinets.
- Unparalleled flexibility in large image acquisition: Compatible with a variety of objective lenses (phase contrast), multi-well plates and other culture vessels.
- Cell-friendly: The microscope stage is completely stationary during image acquisition, eliminating unwanted mechanical disturbances to the sample. Internal optics move to acquire images in different XY and Z positions. A cell-friendly red LED is used for sample illumination, and only turns on during image acquisition.
- Simple interface: Observe results from a personal computer with a cable connection to the main body and control box.
- Suggested applications in stem cell biology: Observation of cell differentiation, cell division, colony formation, infiltration of cancer cells, scratch assays, and more.
Quickly Scan and Tile
Scan the entire cell growth surface area in a plate, dish, or flask in a matter of minutes. High contrast phase images are automatically stitched to generate high resolution data for label-free analysis.
In-Line, Non-Destructive, Label-Free Analysis
Label-Free Stem Cell Colony Tracking
Advanced auto-focusing system automatically finds and identifies colonies and ignores floating debris. Powerful registration algorithms keep track of individual colonies even after merging. Quantitative data can be easily generated, visualized and exported, using Nikon’s advanced analysis software.
Label-free Identification of Differentiated Stem Cell Colonies via Quantitative Morphological Analysis
Differentiated versus un-differentiated areas can be clearly identified from label-free, phase contrast images. Label-free analysis provides a powerful means for in-line analysis and quantification of colony differentiation.
Comparison of label-free analysis result with immuno-fluorescence stain shows high-degree of correlation (R2 = 0.989)
Case Studies for Label-Free Analysis
iPSC colony assessment can be carried out label-free using morphological features (e.g. compactness). Label-free, automated analysis provides a non-destructive, un-biased method for colony assessment during the iPSC reprogramming process.
Changes in size distribution of mesenchymal stem cells over time
Nikon’s CL-Quant software can easily track individual cell areas, based on label-free phase-contrast images, to monitor changes in the distribution of cell sizes over time.